Archive for January, 2011

In Kansas, What Kind of Damages Am I Entitled to When In An Auto Accident?

Tuesday, January 4th, 2011

Kansas courts provide redmedies for personal injury and traffic accident victims for obtaining compensation for damages such as pain, suffering, disability, disfigurement; mental anguish, lost wages, property damage, loss of consortium  and medical bills and other accident related expenses. These damages are recoverable from the date of the accident and under certain circumstances, for the rest of your lifetime should you be suffering from a permanent impairment or injury.

In Kansas there are limits to non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, emotional harm and mental anguish. Insurance coverage held by the wrong doer will greatly impact you ability to recover damages.

Call us today to discuss your Kansas car accident claim and obtain a free initial consultation with a Liberal Kansas auto accident attorney. Koehn & Tahirkheli, L.L.C. serves the cities of Liberal, Garden City, Sublette, Elkhart, Johnson City, Hugoton, Ulysses, Dodge City, Meade, Seward county, and serving all other communities in Southwest Kansas.

If My Criminal Record Was Expunged, Do I Report This on My Immigration Forms?

Tuesday, January 4th, 2011

Many people turn to our law firm for an expungement of a criminal record because it helps people that have made a mistake regain opportunities in life.   Not all charges can be expunged and not everyone is eligable hwoever one of our attorneys here in Liberal, Kansas can answer that question for you when you call us.  If you want to expunge your criminal record or if you have already done so, a question concerning disclosure during the immigration process will arise.

If you have been convicted of a crime and had your criminal record expunged, your should always indicate that on any government forms or applications.  The reason is that government agencies still have access to your criminal record.  Expungements will not necessarily prevent the government from finding any history of criminal convictions. You should always be honest with Immigration officials at all times for your best chance of successfully immigrating in to the United States.

We recommend call our law firm for a better understanding of your situation, but here are some additional and basic items you should disclose to immigration officers.

  1. Arrests (including those by police, Immigration Officers, and other Federal Agents);
  2. Convictions (even if they have been expunged); and
  3. Crimes you have committed for which you were not arrested or convicted.

It is important that you tell Immigration about any arrest, even if someone else has advised you that you are not required to do so.

For immigration and/or expungement questions call Koehn & Tahirkheli, L.L.C. at (620) 624-8158 for a free consultation with a Kansas immigration attorney.

Koehn & Tahirkheli, L.L.C. serves the cities of Liberal, Garden City, Sublette, Elkhart, Johnson City, Hugoton, Ulysses, Dodge City, Meade, Seward county, and serving all other communities in Southwest Kansas.

Can I File a Legal Separation in Kansas?

Sunday, January 2nd, 2011

There are various types of domestic relations actions that may be filed in Kansas courts.  These actions will vary depending on the type of relationship involved as to whether or not the couple’s relationship is considered  “marital” or “non-marital.”

A “separate maintenance” action is very simular to the commonly referred to as  a legal separation.  A seperation maintenance action doe not grant the couple a final judgement of divorce but rather enables the parties to settle legal matters prior to a final marriage dissolution.  Again, the parties’ marriage is not dissolved with a separation maintenance action however the court may be requested by the parties to rule or and provide orders for child support and visitation rights, the division of assets and property, alimony ot spousal support and debt ownership or transfer issues.

A separate maintenance action was more common when divorce actions were more difficult to obtain or took long periods of time in the courts.  These separation actions would enable the parties to settle certain affairs while working through the divorce process.

Call (620) 624-8158 if you have questions concerning a divorce or separate maintenance action or any other Kansas family law matters.  We offer a free initial consultation with a Liberal Kansas divorce attorney.  Courage, Caring, and Commitment for Every Case.